New Nellcor™ Pulse Oximetry Sensor Sustainability Program Drives Cost Savings While Streamlining Ordering Processes
The economic strains within healthcare facilities throughout the U.S. are ever-present and a growing financial burden. Ensuring critical patient safety adherence while also eliminating unnecessary costs and reducing landfill contributions is a challenge. A Midwest healthcare system comprised of four hospital campuses including a 600-bed site — plus numerous satellite facilities — addressed these challenges with a solution that combines both new and remanufactured Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensors into one stock keeping unit (SKU). The system, one of the first in a pilot program, enrolled in the new Sustainability Program, SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code (B-Code) Program.
The healthcare system found considerable, immediate benefits. They met their goals following enrollment — the entire process was streamlined and simplified through fewer SKUs to manage. It also benefited from using a single SKU for each patient type and increased clinician compliance using the sensor collection containers.
How does the new SUSTAINABILITY+ Program work?
The SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor B-Code Program offers participating facilities both new and remanufactured Nellcor™ SpO2 sensors with one simple SKU. This helps reduce waste and remanufacturing of disposable devices without compromising the safety and quality that patients deserve. Remanufactured Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensors undergo restoration processes to match the same original specifications — as if the sensor were newly purchased.1-3
The new Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor B-Code Program is sold and shipped in a box containing 144 individually packaged sterile sensors.† The remanufactured sensors are clearly marked so they are easy to identify. This helps hospital supply chain departments easily separate and inventory the new versus remanufactured sensors. The new SUSTAINABILITY+ blended SKUs can be purchased at your contract Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensor price.
Through our partnership with Cardinal Health, used Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensors are collected in recycling bins, provided and collected by Cardinal.
Related: Read more on the SUSTAINABILTIY+ B-Code Program.
What are the intended benefits of the SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program?
You can easily implement the Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program as part of your hospital’s current sustainability program. The program is designed to help simplify supply chain management by offering the blended SKU. There are considerable benefits of enrolling in the SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Blended Code Program including:
- Supply chain inventory recognition. Streamline both internal and external processes for all your supply chain departments by reducing the number of SKUs to order — now you can manage sensor inventory with just five blended SKUs.
- Fewer SKUs ordered. Those enrolled in the program may benefit from up to 50 percent fewer SKUs.
- Decrease the number of separate orders. With the single SKU ordering pattern, there is no need to break orders into multiple partial orders consisting of new and remanufactured sensors.
Additionally, the process remains the same for you with the contract generated for SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program as it does for other sustainability initiative projects.
If your facility is already participating in the Nellcor™ Pulse Oximetry Technology Sustainability Program, the process for ordering the new blended-code sensors remains the same.
Related: Contact a local sales rep today to discover the specific benefits to your healthcare system.
Why is the SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program different?
Other companies reprocess sensors multiple times. Medtronic remanufactures Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensors only once. We stand behind the accuracy and quality of our sensors, which adhere to a 50-point proprietary procedure and specifications process.
To further our commitment to patient safety while also ensuring cost savings and reduced landfill output are met, we provide a Sustainability Value Report (SVR). The SVR report offers insight to how well your facility or healthcare system is returning used Nellcor™ pulse oximetry sensors against the national average capture rate. The report also shows the Regulated Medical Waste (RMW) savings rate — another insight that can help ensure your facility or healthcare system is meeting sustainability goals. The SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program also offers:
- Simplified ordering by reducing the number of SKUs by 50 percent
- Streamlined pricing from a blended price across new and remanufactured Nellcor™ SpO2 sensors
- Time savings — thanks to simplified ordering with fewer SKUs, as well as no longer needing personal interaction on calculating your pulse oximetry balances
Explore all the operational efficiency benefits of the SUSTAINABILITY+ Nellcor™ SpO2 Sensor Blended Code Program by contacting a local sales rep today.
†These numbers could change in the future as we continue to evolve our offerings to meet customer needs.
References: 5. SteriMed Instructions For Use, Reprocessed Pulse Oximeter Sensors, Rev G-Control # SMI-420-305 Rev G. Available at http://www.e-IFU.com/#.
1. IFU-Part No. PT00053377 Rev B 2017-08. MAXA accuracy for adults.
2. When used with Nellcor™ pulse oximetry monitors. For use with other manufacturers’ monitors, obtain relevant information from those manufacturers. All accuracies are expressed as ± “X” digits. Pulse oximeter equipment measurements are statistically distributed; about two-thirds of pulse oximeter measurements can be expected to fall in this accuracy range. Nellcor™ Pulse Oximetry Oxygen Saturation Accuracy Specification Grid. Part No. 10091796 Rev B 01/2013.
3. Nellcor™ Pulse Oximetry Oxygen Saturation Accuracy Specification Grid. Part No. 10091796 Rev B 01/2013.
4. Stryker Sustainability Solutions instructions for Use Reprocessed Pulse Oximeter Sensor, POX Rev. J 10/2017 RM702018. Available at http://sustainability.stryker.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/IFU-POX-RM702018pdf.pdf.
5. SteriMed Instructions For Use, Reprocessed Pulse Oximeter Sensors, Rev G-Control # SMI-420-305 Rev G. Available at http://www.e-IFU.com/#.
© 2021 Medtronic. All rights reserved. Medtronic, Medtronic logo and Further, Together are trademarks of Medtronic. All other brands are trademarks of a Medtronic company. 03/2021-US-PM-2100269
TOPIC: Pulse Oximetry, Medical-Surgical, Intensive Care Unit