Purchasing a fleet of ventilators for your hospital is a major decision. The cost of acquiring new equipment is part of that decision-making process. In this blog, you’ll find the information you need to help you budget for your project.
How Much Do Ventilators Cost?
There are many ventilator options available to care for a variety of patient needs. Examples include:
- Home care ventilators
- Transport ventilators
- Low, medium, and high-acuity ventilators
- High-frequency ventilators
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation/continuous positive airway pressure (NPPV/CPAP), bilevel positive airway pressure (BIPAP) systems
Different ventilators also have different gas delivery designs, including turbine-based air supply and proportional solenoid (PSOL) valve control, or a combination of the two systems.
Costs for these ventilators can range from $5,000 to $50,000.
Related: For price information on subacute ventilators, click here.
What Does a Premium Ventilator Cost?
Premium or high-acuity ventilators — most commonly found in hospital ICUs — typically have a PSOL gas delivery design and can currently cost between $25,000 and $50,000. Factors that can contribute to this price range include user configurability options and built-in safety features.
Our Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilator is a good example of how different factors can impact cost. Both configuration and patient needs can influence the price range of the Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilator — which is from $32,000 to $48,000.
Your hospital’s group purchasing organization (GPO) or Integrated Healthcare Network (IHN) affiliation, as well as the number of ventilators you intend to buy, will also affect the cost.
When factoring the costs of ventilators over their lifetime, it’s important to consider the following:
- The expected lifespan of premium ventilators
- The Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilator is intended to be in use at least ten years.
- Preventative maintenance costs
- Our preventative maintenance package is $1,950 for three years.
- Battery life
- The Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilator battery lasts about three years.1
- The cost to replace it is approximately $2,000.
Want to learn more about your premium ventilator options? Contact us.
© 2019 Medtronic. All rights reserved. Medtronic, Medtronic logo and Further, Together are trademarks of Medtronic. All other brands are trademarks of a Medtronic company. 18-VE-0072
1. Medtronic. Puritan BennettTM 980 Series Ventilator Operator’s Manual.
About the AuthorMore Content by Heather Glass